OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD 2012

Welcome to Cents To Save! Follow along as we pay down our debt, become mortgage free, and enjoy life. You can read more about this site here and subscribe to get all the latest updates sent to you by email or RSS feed here. Thanks for visiting!

Compact Flourescent Bulbs

Last week, the hubby went out and pruchased replacement bulbs (compact flourescents) for the whole house both inside and outside. Total amount spent by him was 130.00 dollars. Yes we had lots of bulbs to replace. The bedrooms had recessed lights ( four each) and he found the ones that resemble the same bulbs we had but are actually flourescent. He also purchased new light switches as we had dimmers and dimmer do not work with flourescents. So, this will be a great way for us to reduce our electric bill.

We have also been making use of the clothesline. I think we have had to use the dryer about 5 times as oppposed to 15-20 times per week. Another great way for use to reduce the electic bill. I can't wait to see the bill over the next two cycles. All members of the house have been working together to reduce the use of electricity by using the clothesline, unplugging appliances when not in use, resisting the urge to turn on the AC,so I am very appreciateive of their efforts.

2 comments:

1916home.net said...

Unfortunately for all of us, these bulbs are toxic and dangerous. Doing some research we find that these bulbs contain mercury, and also have a brighter white light than a regular bulb which can cause headaches (even migraines) in many people. Mercury in vaccines have, in some studies, been linked to autism.

The EPA offers a detailed, 11-step procedure you should follow in case a bulb breaks.. something along the lines of: Air out the room for a quarter of an hour. Wear gloves. Double-bag the refuse. Use duct tape to lift the residue from a carpet. Don’t use a vacuum cleaner, as that will only spread the problem. The next time you vacuum the area, immediately dispose of the vacuum bag.

If we have to go through all of that... is it safe for our environment? Forget Al Gore for a second... is it safe for us? Our children?

In the future our landfills arent going to be littered with glass and metal, but with plastics leeching chemicals and other more dangerous and hazardous stuff like mercury.

I was all for CF bulbs until I educated myself further.

1916home.net said...

Unfortunately for all of us, these bulbs are toxic and dangerous. Doing some research we find that these bulbs contain mercury, and also have a brighter white light than a regular bulb which can cause headaches (even migraines) in many people. Mercury in vaccines have, in some studies, been linked to autism.

The EPA offers a detailed, 11-step procedure you should follow in case a bulb breaks.. something along the lines of: Air out the room for a quarter of an hour. Wear gloves. Double-bag the refuse. Use duct tape to lift the residue from a carpet. Don’t use a vacuum cleaner, as that will only spread the problem. The next time you vacuum the area, immediately dispose of the vacuum bag.

If we have to go through all of that... is it safe for our environment? Forget Al Gore for a second... is it safe for us? Our children?

In the future our landfills arent going to be littered with glass and metal, but with plastics leeching chemicals and other more dangerous and hazardous stuff like mercury.

I was all for CF bulbs until I educated myself further.

ShareThis