OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD 2012

Welcome to Cents To Save! Follow along as we pay down our debt, become mortgage free, and enjoy life. You can read more about this site here and subscribe to get all the latest updates sent to you by email or RSS feed here. Thanks for visiting!

Trash Can Composting

I have started a small garden this year. So far I have watermelon plants, pumpkin plants, zucchini and yellow squash plants. I did try a couple of tomato plants, but the hot Florida sun literally "cooked" them before they had a chance to grow.

So far the majority of the plants are doing well and I am excited to watch their progress as they grow. I want to be more "green" in my home and in my garden so I am attempting composting. I looked online for composting options and the prices are a little high for my taste. This is my first attempt and I really did not want to put a lot of money in to it, but I did want to try it.


I did find a brief tutorial on how to build a trash can composter and I modified it a bit to meet my needs.

First, I bought a plastic trash can with a locking lid. I then drilled 1/2 holes in all over the can including the bottom.

Next, I filled the bottom of the can with shredded newspaper to absorb the liquid and after that I added coffee grounds, eggshells, and other vegetable scraps. Next I added the grass clippings and will continue this process as the items become available to compost.

What I really like about this trash can is that it has a locking lid. This way I can "roll" the trash can back and forth to mix up the barrel and promote faster decomposition. This is a tidy economical and attractive option for composting!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How long have you had your trash can composter set up? I'd like to give this a try. I have a traditional compost pile, but it takes a lot of work to turn it. I have goats, so we compost the manure and hay, I have quite a lot. This looks like a much easier method.
Thanks!
Ashley

Lisa said...

Hi Ashley
Thanks for your question! I am fairly new to composting and I have been using the "trash can" for about a month. If you had a lot of compost materials, consider more that one can... just a suggestion. As I said, this is a new endeavor for me!

Let me know what you do, I am curious to see how it works for you!
Lisa

ShareThis