OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD 2012

Welcome to Cents To Save! Follow along as we pay down our debt, become mortgage free, and enjoy life. You can read more about this site here and subscribe to get all the latest updates sent to you by email or RSS feed here. Thanks for visiting!

Food Waste Friday, Green and Yellow

I buy celery because I like how it smells.....not necessarily how it tastes.  I especially like how it smells when you are cooking it down in butter... with onions.  It would be better for me to eat it raw but that rarely happens.  


This bunch of celery does have a few good stalks on it.  It could be rescued for soup... or something.  But in all honesty, that is not going to happen.






Next is the bananas.  When I bought this bunch of bananas on Monday, I surely did not think that all of them (minus one) would still be here in the kitchen.  I thought wrong!  Here they are, slowly truing from a pretty yellow to speckled brown ....again.   Maybe subliminally I just want to make banana bread.
Yeah, that's it.  Banana bread.  So it will not be a total waste.

linked to The FrugalGirl

13 comments:

Michelle said...

No waste for me this week! :)

CentsToSave said...

Yeah Michelle!

Tanner E said...

Hey, you're actually not doing too bad! I bought a cucumber after your last cucumber post (I know, I am VERY weird), and actually managed to eat it all before it got mushy. Yay me! Let's see if I can pull the same on that solo tomato sitting in the veggie drawer... I'm thinking scrambled eggs with it.

Becca S. said...

If you didn't feel like making banana bread, (just a guess!lol) you can simply peel the bananas and stick them in the freezer for later. My kids LOVE them frozen and cut into rounds- it tastes almost like ice cream, but healthier! Or just save them for when you're craving banana bread, or stick them in some smoothies. :) Can you tell we have lots of bananas go almost bad at our house? :)
Visiting from Food Waste Friday at the Frugal Girl,
Becca.

CentsToSave said...

I am going to have to try the frozen banana rounds! Great idea! Thanks for stopping by :)

Carla said...

I'm Allergic to celery so haven't had it in eons, but was never a fan anyways! As for the bananas, they're SUPER good mashed in hot cereal, pancakes, etc... Yum!

CentsToSave said...

Allergic to celery? Wow! And yes the bananas really wont go to waste.... they will meet another purpose.

live and learn-toss and turn said...

The bananas in your picture look just like the ones on my counter. I think they are at their peak right now as far as flavor goes, but it will be down hill after that. I'm thinking about banana bread and putting chocolate chips in it.

Briana Myricks said...

You're not alone; I go through bananas like that all the time. I keep saying I'll make banana pudding but I still haven't. I have celery for my green drinks though.

CentsToSave said...

Oh yeah.... they are going to go quick if I don't freeze them or bake with them!

CentsToSave said...

Aha.... green drinks. Good Idea. I use fresh spinach, frozen pineapple and yogurt for my green drinks. Very tasty.

Amy said...

Celery and butter, there's nothing like it!

CentsToSave said...

Isn't that the truth!

ShareThis