OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD 2012

Welcome to Cents To Save! Follow along as we pay down our debt, become mortgage free, and enjoy life. You can read more about this site here and subscribe to get all the latest updates sent to you by email or RSS feed here. Thanks for visiting!

Stockpile Update

I was checking out some of my favorite blogs and Paula @ Saving Money 101 had an interesting post on the state of her stockpiles for the coming year. she has enough of the personal care items to last her into next year.

I have to say that I am in the same situation. I have more than enough toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, etc to last me well into next year. Ialso have lots of dish liquid, dish washing soap and bathroom cleaners as well.

What I need to concentrate on is actual food stoockpiles. I would like to change my focus to building an edible stockpile that will benefit me and my family. So how much is enough for my food stockpile? It depends. I have to figure out how much my husband and myself need for a certain time frame.

At Safely Gathered In, they have a great tutorial on how to plan your three month supply of meals. The tutorial will show you how to easily formulate a plan to figure out what and hwo much you would need for three months.

I do think this is a good idea, but I wonder if I can actively maintain the three month supply. What I mean by that, is I would be responsible for rotating the items so that nothing would go bad. This would definitely challenge my organizational skills!

3 comments:

Your Best Friend said...

I've been thinking the same thing, about needing to take my food stock more seriously. I've been talking about an extra freezer for a while but my dilema is whether to buy new and get a decent one, which means spending money, or do I look on craiglist? And I also need more space for the non-perishables, because my pantry is already full. Where are you planning to start? Freezer, non-perishables, trip to Hawaii first to think it over... :-)

Lisa said...

Hi Kristen,

By the way, I like the name of your blog.. "Working moms can blog too!"

I don't exactly know where to start. Ok... maybe I do. I am going to start on restocking my pantry with canned goods, fruits, vegtables.. sauces... and then I will look at my pasta supply as well as my rice supply. After that.... I am not sure yet

Your Best Friend said...

Thanks for the compliment on my blog name!

I decided to start on my food stockpile this week, and I have now stocked up on pasta sauce, toilet paper, canned soup, and boxed noodle meals. It's not much, but it got me going anyway. If I do this for too many weeks, I'm going to need to make more room though. I do think it's important to have extras in the house that I have purchased on sale with coupons rather than being forced to the store because I ran out of an item I needed. If I could get a 3 month supply of the basics, I think I would feel like I've done well. And I'm not giving up on the freezer idea but the cost of one is stopping me right now. So, here's to 2009 and giving this a try!

ShareThis