OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD 2012

Welcome to Cents To Save! Follow along as we pay down our debt, become mortgage free, and enjoy life. You can read more about this site here and subscribe to get all the latest updates sent to you by email or RSS feed here. Thanks for visiting!

Reaching Out: Shut-Ins



I split my Sunday church time between two churches.  One is our old church which my husband attends full time AND teaches adult Sunday School.  I go with him once or twice a month.  The other Sundays I go to a church much closer to our new home.  It is one that my daughter and I have visited and decided to make it our home church.  It also has a great Sunday school nursery program for my grandson.  He loves going every Sunday, and I feel it is my responsibility to provide him the opportunity to go. 

I kinda dropped the ball when my kids were younger, so I guess the guilt weighs heavy on me.  Any hoo.... I really, really like the church closer to our new home, but I still have ties to our old church.  Plus the fact that my husband teaches every Sunday, I do need to go and show him support. 

Let me back it up for a minute.   When my mom was in the hospital (several times) over the last few years, her church was always there to support her.  They were especially good about sending cards of caring and get well.  She has STACKS of cards from her church.  In fact, they are still sending cards to her out here while she is staying with us.  Each time she gets a card from them, her face beams and she smiles so big.  It is amazing what a little piece of mail can do!

While my dad was living, he would always want to see the mail.  So I would go out and check it (while we were living there) and bring it back to him.  He never got a card or letter.  And you could see the disappointment in his face.  Sadness is hard to hide.

As I reflect back on both situations, I have decided to send cards monthly to the home bound members of our old church.  There are about 12 on the list and each one gets a handwritten card from my husband and I.  I have asked others (through the church facebook page) to get on the bandwagon too.   It is an opportunity to pass along a blessing and to receive a blessing.

Just wanted to share this ..... maybe it will inspire someone to lift the spirits of a home bound individual in their lives.

Have a great Sunday!

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Sorry to hear about your father's side of the story... that's pretty rough. But great that you're passing the ball on and helping others in his memory. I'm sure he'd be proud!

Lisa said...

Lisa, I absolutely love this idea. We so often let our busy lives take over and we forget about those who are lonely or shut-in.

Lisa said...

Wow. That is awesome. Way to take it upon yourselves and make a difference in those peoples lives!

Lisa said...

Thanks Tanner! :)

Lisa said...

Thanks Denise!

Lisa said...

Thanks Deacon!

Lisa said...

Lisa, that's great post! I started thinking about that and if I can relate to it somehow. Easter is coming so I thought about sending a few extra cards to people I think about "I'll call them tomorrow". I'm really happy to hear your mom is doing better :)

Lisa said...

This is a very important subject. We get so involved in our everyday lives, we sometimes forget the shut-ins. I think that we also forget that they are not tied to a lot of current technology, so they don't have instant communication with others like most of society today does. I don't live close to my parents, so I can't be there to do many things for them. That's why I try to help the elderly where I live. I hope someone will do the same for my parents.

Lisa said...

Thanks for the Easter reminder! It would have sneaked up on me and I would have missed the opportunity to send out Easter cards! Mom is pretty good these days. Thanks!

Lisa said...

Yes the instant technology can be a curse and a blessing. When my dad passed, I did receive many nice cards. I also received emails with condolences.... and the truth be told... the cards meant so much more. So I try to remember that and make the extra effort to send a card or note. I really can make a difference :)

ShareThis