OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD 2012

Welcome to Cents To Save! Follow along as we pay down our debt, become mortgage free, and enjoy life. You can read more about this site here and subscribe to get all the latest updates sent to you by email or RSS feed here. Thanks for visiting!

Chothesline Economy

The weather is not as hot this time of year and it is a lot easier to hang out clothes on my trusty clothesline. In fact, I will be able to hang out clothes at least until mid December if not longer, it does depend how mild the winter is. Usually it is too cold in January to hang out clothes.... with weather improving in February and then up until mid June. Then the heat kicks in and it is too hot.


Others ways I save are by using homemade detergent:(courtesy of TipNut.com)


Powdered Laundry Detergent - Recipe #4

2 cups Fels Naptha Soap (finely grated - you could also try the other bar soaps listed at the top)
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup Borax
Mix well and store in an airtight plastic container.
Use 2 tablespoons per full load.

I have been using this detergent for about a month, and so far I have had good results.
You do not get a lot of suds with this detergent, so that is something to get use to. If you are use to the pretty scents of popular detergents.... well you won't get that with this detergent. You can add essential oils, but I have not yet done so. I am okay with the "clean" scent that I get with this detergent.
Washing in cold water is another way I save money.
According to SaveEnergy.....
Simply heating the water to wash clothes amounts to 90% of the washing machine's power consumption. The best way to save money when you are doing the laundry is to wash clothes in cold water. When used with cold-water detergent, washing in cold water is actually better for your clothes. Oily stains that require hot water for removal can be switched from hot to warm still saving energy and doing a good job of cleaning your laundry.
Vinegar as a softener
In place of softener, I use vinegar. I have found it is very effective in the softening of clothes.. and your clothes do not smell like salad dressing. I do miss the pleasant aroma of traditional softeners.
These methods are helpful to me and my budget. They are not engraved in stone.... if the weather is lousy, I do have a dryer and as a backup, I will use it on a limited basis. And, if over time I am not satisfied with the results of the homemade laundry detergent, I will check the ads as well as my coupons and get what is the best bargain. The same goes for softeners.... on occasion I might have to get a bottle of "real" softener, but only if it is on sale and I have a coupon!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see that others make homemade soap too. I started making mine about 6 months ago but I make liquid soap. I actually live the clean smell I get. I did try the vinegar and know I can use it in a pinch but I really like fab soft clothes so I went back to that after I first started. Making your own soap is cheap, easy, economic, safe and great for sensitive skin. I admit I keep a back up bottle of detergent for emergencies such as I didn't get to making soap. I will post my liquid soap recipe on my blog as well. Thanks for the tip.

Savingmoney101.blogsport.com said...

I am glad to see that others make homemade soap too. I started making mine about 6 months ago but I make liquid soap. I actually live the clean smell I get. I did try the vinegar and know I can use it in a pinch but I really like fab soft clothes so I went back to that after I first started. Making your own soap is cheap, easy, economic, safe and great for sensitive skin. I admit I keep a back up bottle of detergent for emergencies such as I didn't get to making soap. I will post my liquid soap recipe on my blog as well. Thanks for the tip.

ShareThis