OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD 2012

Welcome to Cents To Save! Follow along as we pay down our debt, become mortgage free, and enjoy life. You can read more about this site here and subscribe to get all the latest updates sent to you by email or RSS feed here. Thanks for visiting!

Rethinking My Spending

Okay... Hubs is temporarily unemployed. This too shall pass. But until it does... I have to say that my "thinking" about money has semi-drastically changed.


I have been making subtle adjustments; for instance now I will always check the thermostat in the hall and make sure it is close to 76. Before we would keep the temp closer to 71. I know... that is kinda cool but it is HOT outside and well... we like it cold.


I have started to hage out some clothes on the clothesline again. Not all loads are going out. Right now is the rainy season and id just about rains every afternoon if not more. But, if I can sneak a load out after work and it has a chance to dry before dark I will do it.


Now, I ALWAYS bring my breakfast and lunch to work. Before... not so much. I must confess, I would eat out ... well I would eat out a lot more that I should. So, now if I want to eat out at work, I call my mom up and see what she is having for lunch and I will drive over to her house and eat with her.


I will delay going to the grocery store a few days longer and search deep in the pantry for items that need to be used up before I buy more.


I have readjusted the timer on the hot water heater. It is on 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. If we need more hot water, we can just flip the switch back to "on".


Isn't that funny??? When I started blogging in Nov 06 I was all about saving every penny. And for the most part, blogging has kept me on track. Of course lately.... over the last 6 months or so.. I have become a little "spendy".

We are moving forward! We have an emergency savings that we can tap into if we need to and hubs and I both know that God is in control and it will all be fine.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I am right there with you girl. My hubby has been laid off too. The last couple of months I have focused my spending on "free or nearly free." I still have fun looking for the deals, but I am changing my focus. I have passed on a lot of deals lately.
Some ways to get some quick cash are yard sales, taking children's clothes and toys to consignment stores. We are having a yard sale in a couple of weeks and I am going to use that along with any freebie gift cards I pick up to fund our Christmas $ this year. The hardest cut back for us is entertainment or eating out. I'm thankful my son likes McDonalds, we can feed our family there for about $8! We are playing a lot more games together as a family and trying not to spend so much money!

Myssie@PendletonMarket said...

I hope that your Husband finds work soon, I am sure that is very stressful. Hang in there, like you said: this too shall pass!

ShareThis