OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD 2012

Welcome to Cents To Save! Follow along as we pay down our debt, become mortgage free, and enjoy life. You can read more about this site here and subscribe to get all the latest updates sent to you by email or RSS feed here. Thanks for visiting!

Lasagne Gardening

Last year I followed Paula at Saving Money 101 while she experiemented with Lasagne Gardening.  I thought I would give it a try this year.   So I selected a spot that gets lots of sun and has easy access. I have a thing for  gazing balls or yard globes.... but that is another post. : )

Here is my first layer of the lasagne garden.  Cardboard.  I have lots of boxes. I wet the first layer...and each additional layer that followed


Then a layer of oak leaves, compost and on top of that newspaper....
Then, topsoil, compost mixed up and the addition of the plants.  This year I am growing one regular tomato plant, two cherry tomato plants, two zuchinni plants and one yellow squash plant. 
Cost for plants: three tomato plants: 3.50 each, the zuchinni and yellow squash plants were .97 cents each. Three bags of manure, and three bags of topsoil was 7.50 dollars.

So, for about 20 dollars I have my first lasagne garden.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your turquoise gazing ball! I've seen gazing balls used as a centerpiece for garden spinner. I think they're positively dazzling!

ShareThis